Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm torn between two college majors, I can't decide which I should pick, can you help me make up my mind?


I'm torn between two college majors, I can't decide which I should pick, can you help me make up my mind?
I'm torn between becoming an elementary school teacher or a music teacher. I almost feel horrible about considering that I might not pursue music for the rest of my life. For the last four years I've been thinking that I'd just go to college and either go to perform or go to be a music teacher. My mind about becoming a music educator, to being a regular teacher changed maybe two months ago. I was coming up with all of these ideas I could keep a class entertained and help them learn. But music, since I was 9 years old has always been my biggest passion and I'm 17 now. I really don't know what I should do. I would hate to become a regular teacher and never touch my flute again. I love it too much to completely not do it anymore, but at the same time I think being a regular teacher would probably be easier. But I really don't know, and we're supposed to be figuring this out right now because this is the year we're "getting prepared to apply to college." I know it may sound like I'm whining, and maybe I am a little bit, but I really would like some advice. And do you know of any good colleges for Education or Music Education in Pennsylvania (preferably around Philadelphia) I've looked around and so far Bloomgsburg University is my number one choice.
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Here's the practical answer: With all the budget cuts, many schools are cutting out music programs. So, if you want a job once you get your degree, my suggestion is an Elementary Education major with a Special Education or ESL (English as a Second Language) minor. They really need Special Ed. and ESL teachers, and will continue to. You can ALWAYS use music to teach kids! I teach Spanish and use music ALL THE TIME! All of your talents will come in handy working with kids, no matter what subject you're teaching. Truly. But if you can't get a job, you can't be a teacher.


2
Stop stressing about what exactly you want to be, you aren't supposed to know that yet! Go to college and take some courses in music and some courses in education to see which you enjoy more. You will most likely get the same degree whether you want to become a regular teacher or a music teacher anyway, so you should just relax and figure out what you want to specialize in over the next four years.


3
I say go for music ! My DREAM ever since 3rd grade was to work in some sorts of company that works with cartoons; so right now I'm in college (freshman) studying Game Design hoping to get a job in Pixar after I graduate, pursue what your PASSION is, not by what is easier ! If you love music that much, then you will FIGHT for it, even if it's the hardest thing for you ! I included a list of Music schools in Philadelphia ! Good Luck and keep me posted if you want ! : )

Popular Posts