Sunday, January 16, 2011

university of pennsylvania SAT or ACT?


university of pennsylvania SAT or ACT?
Should I send UPenn my SAT scores (2040 overall) or ACT scores (32 with writing)? Also, should i mention any AP tests that I have taken? I took 3 but i didn't do well on any of them, with a 2 in US History, 3 in Chemistry and a 3 in Physics (My school starts later than most other schools so we can never cover all of the material). My SAT Subject scores were 700 in math 2, 600 in US History, and 560 in French. I am retaking the SAT reasoning in October. Is there a way to send SAT and ACT, with ACT substituting my subject tests? Because on UPenn's site it doesn't say so, it only says either SAT and SAT II's or ACT with writing, but I've heard you can replace SAT II's with the ACT. Also, would anyone give an assessment on my chances of getting in? None of my parents went to college, I have taken all possible AP classes and have always gotten all A's and B's. I am unsure of my rank because we haven't received them yet, as well as my GPA. But as of after 10th grade I was 41 out of around 500 something, but my grades went up a lot last year and I expect that rank to go up to at least top 25. My school GPA is weighted at it is well over 4.0 and unweighted it should be around 4.0 but again, I haven't gotten it yet. My school is public in Philadelphia, Central High School. I'm also applying early decision Also, I have never held a job of any kind. I hope that doesn't hurt a lot. As for leadership roles, I haven't been in charge of anything really, I've done a lot of community service activities though, and played guitar in a couple charity concerts. I was also a student association representative for my advisary in 9th grade. during the summer before my junior year I created a petition and got my target of over 700 signatures against the city's local transportation system removing transfers (the things you need to transfer onto another bus without paying full price). I'm not sure how much effect it had, but they DID contact me about it, and they did eventually give all students free passes to use the bus for the first time in Philadelphia history.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
About all you can do is compare your achievements to the students they did accept. Here's how the middle 50% of a recent freshman class did: SAT - Critical Reading Middle 50%:650-750 SAT - Math Middle 50%:680-780 TPR Projected Range SAT Writing:690-750 ACT Composite Midldle 50%:31-34 Average High School GPA:3.83 Students in top 10% of HS class:94% Total applicants who are accepted:18% While your SAT and ACT scores fall into this range, they're not at the high end, so it's not a sure thing. They are going to be looking at more than just grades and test scores, too. My understanding is that early decision increases your chances, if your application is strong in the first place. Do you have strong activities indicating a leadership role, a passion about something, a work ethic, etc.? Also, make sure your essays are rock solid.

Popular Posts