Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is it worth it applying to the University of Pennsylvania?


Is it worth it applying to the University of Pennsylvania?
I just checked with my college counselor and my GPA is 4.1. I do not know much about grade point averages or which one is the highest, but I'm guessing it's out of 10. How could it be so low? I've constantly been getting As and Bs. I toured it this summer and I think it's a really good school. I could imagine myself going there in the middle of it all, in Philadelphia. However, I'm not sure if I can get in. I heard it's an Ivy League school. I think that my college essay is a really good one. How are my chances? Is it too late? Please someone answer. I also take 4 AP classes.
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I have no idea, but know that grades arent everything. also its probably 4.1 out of 5, or maybe even 4, but NOT out of 10 w/ all A's and B's.


2
No you should not apply to Penn because you don't even know what a GPA is. GPA are not out of 10 they are usually out of 4, 5 if the GPA is weighted. A good weighted GPA would be around 4.6 or higher... probably a waste of your time.


3
You don't really give enough information for us to give you an informed answer. The GPA you gave us is a weighted GPA -- which gives you extra points for taking AP and Honors classes. The unweighted GPA is on a scale of 0.0 to 4.0. Based on your having taken four AP classes, I suspect that your unweighted GPA is about 3.7 out of four. This is good enough to get you into lots of excellent universities -- but is on the margin for elite schools. Your SAT scores and admissions essays will be important factors. You ill need SAT scores in the 2100+ range (out of 2400). If you can do that, you should apply to a couple of elite schools like Penn, but also to some highly regarded colleges that are not quite as elite as the Ivy League. The application deadline at Penn is in a couple of weeks. You need to hurry.

Popular Posts